Gas Safety Certificate


What is landlord Gas Safe Certificate (CP12)?

A landlord’s gas safety certificate is commonly referred to as a CP12. This stands for CORGI Proforma 12, and comes from the time when CORGI was the UK’s statutory gas safety body – nowadays, it is the Gas Safe Register.
Landlords must receive gas safety certificates once every 12 months, as outlined in the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. Gas Safe Registered engineers must issue these certificates and check all flues and pipework within the property, as well as any gas appliances that were supplied to the tenants.
If a landlord uses an agent, then the landlord will need to ensure that the contract states whose responsibility gas safety will be. If landlords fail to adhere to their responsibilities, they could face a huge fine and up to six months’ jail, unless the contract explicitly puts the responsibility in the letting agent’s hands.
 CP12 certificates

Landlords should keep a copy of CP12 certificates for two years, and provide a copy to their tenants in the 28 days after the inspection or when they move in.

CP12s feature the following information:

The name, ID number and signature of the person who performed the gas safety check;

The date of the check;

The address of the relevant property;

Locations and details of appliances and flues;

Any problems the engineer discovered, and any action taken to repair these problems;

The name and address of the property owner, i.e. The landlord;

A statement from the engineer that confirms that the check was completed properly and that it complies with relevant legislation; and
The date of the next scheduled gas safety check.